Some quotes from Mark's final session...
- Every now and then God calls a leader to dance the fine line between insanity and radical faith.
- I have a grave concern that church in America has become just a building. It has become like wallpaper that you pass and don't even notice.
- Let me ask: What are you doing in your church to raise up and mentor young leaders?
- There are five stages of innovation...
- People deny innovation is required.
- People deny innovation is effective.
- People deny innovation is important.
- People deny innovation will justify the effort required to adopt it.
- People accept and adopt the innovation, enjoy its benefits, attribute it to people other than the innovator, and deny the existence of stages 1-4.
- A: Many preachers/teachers start with the Bible, then Exegete the text, then Apply, then Illustrate. Nothing wrong with that method. But culture has shifted. Many (maybe most) question the veracity of the Scripture. It is no longer positioned by the majority of Americans as the authoritative guide for life.
- B: Another way to teach: Start with real life (the human condition), then Exegete life, then go to the Bible to see what it says about the human condition, then Apply/Illustrate.
- I can only find one place in the Bible where Jesus used method A. In every other place, he used method B. And in that one place, he was driven from the temple and chased out of town!
Within the next week or so, you'll be able to watch this session (and ALL the sessions) at InnovateConference.com for free.