Rob Wegner: Up There Down Here
Rob Wegner launched Day #2 of Innovate Conference. Some take-aways from his session...
- God's plan to help the world is you. There is no other plan.
- We've miscommunicated the gospel. We've talked about it as the minimum requirements to get into Heaven.
- The "gospel of Jesus" is this: The kingdom of God is near.
- For most Christians, the gospel is either about 1) life after death, or 2) Jesus making my life better.
- The gospel is life in Heaven, yes, but it is more than that. It is God's will here on earth. It is up there down here.
- We need to change our definition of the gospel from saved souls to saved wholes.
- We decided to move from flashlight to laser focus.
- In each area of focus, we decided to narrow our focus rather than broaden it.
- When first approached, South Bend Housing Authority had been burned by churches before. Churches come in, tell a Bible story, ask kids to come forward, then church leaves and never comes back. Director said, "Our kids have enough issues with abandonment without the church adding to it."
- Narrowing your focus will dramatically increase your impact.
- Over 2800 people from Granger have been involved in ministry outside the walls of the church this year.
Two great videos in this session...I'll post them here as soon as I can.