I'll admit, I'm a little late watching the 2008 MTV Movie Awards, but that is why God created the DVR. Here are a few thoughts I jotted down while watching this years' show...
- Coldplay sang Viva La Vida for the first time ever live. It was the first time I heard the entire song...and it surprised me. I'm more of a Foo-Fighters-rocker...but this song really pulled me in.
- I wonder if Ed Norton tells people how much he looks like me?
- Seth Rogen and James Franco appeared to smoke a marijuana joint live on stage during their presentation. It was interesting to me that the camera stayed zoomed way out. Evidently it is okay for impressionable teens to hear celebrities smoke marijuana--but not to see it.
- Adam Sandler received the MTV Generation Award and sang a hilarious self-aggrandizing ballad. His bit made me remember how much I loved The Wedding Singer featuring Sandler and Drew Barrymore. Is it possible that movie is already ten years old?
- Several movies that I haven't seen received awards or nominations. I made notes of a few I'd like to watch, including: Juno, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Iron Man, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Step Up 2 The Streets, and Never Back Down.
Also on the pop culture front, took my wife to see The Happening last night. It is the latest creation from M. Night Shyamalan. I thought it was a great movie with lots of "chills on the back of my neck" moments. I wish there had been a stronger ending, but it was definitely worth the money.