What hobby do you have that makes your heart beat fast? For my friend, Mark Beeson, it is hunting, fishing and all things outdoors. For my sister, Dena McGoldrick, it is scrapbooking. For my friend, Corey Mann, it is music. For Mark Batterson, he gets jazzed about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
For me, it's gadgets. Pretty much anything with a knob, lever, operating system or graphical interface. I even get jazzed about buying a new kitchen appliance...especially if there is any chance it can wirelessly connect to the internet.
Some of my favorite gadgets...
- Dell Widescreen Monitor - I use the 20" version at home and the 24" version at the church.
- 60gb Video iPod -- I don't use it near as much as I thought I would, but still load it up with content when I'm traveling.
- Magellan 760 GPS -- Even when I know where I'm going, it is comforting to hear Bertha give me instructions and never get mad.
- Samsung HLN 56" DLP HD-TV -- I tend to be an early adopter and bought this over 3 years ago when there was very little HD content. Now units this size cost less than half what I paid, and there is plenty of HD content. But I've never regretted this purchase.
- Motorola HD DVR -- Ever since I first used a DVR (or a "TIVO" type unit) several years ago, I realized I'll never be able to live without it. Never watch commercials again. Never miss a second of anything you are watching when the phone rings or someone is at the door. Never have to watch something a 9pm just because that is when it starts. Never worry about your kids "flipping channels" just to find something to watch. Anyway, Motorola's unit is cool because it records and plays back in High Def.
- DVD Recorder -- I can record directly from the DVR. Very useful for TV clips that we use in services.
- XBox 360 -- my newest gadget that I've only had a couple of days. More on that in another post.
- Sirius Satellite Radio -- The content is great, but their customer service and support sucks.
- Belkin N1 Wireless Router -- my range and speed has increased dramatically with this unit.
- Caller ID -- Everyone has it, but it is an introvert's best friend.
I think there are many guys on our team who are glad that I am wired the way that I am...when Jason or Adam propose something techie, they never have to talk too much to convince me. I've probably already read about it and realize its' usefulness. At that point, it's just a matter of prioritizing the funds.
I'm so glad I was born in the age of technology...I can only imagine what heaven will be like!