Andy Stanley gave some great ideas on leading a meeting:
- Pull members into the discussion.
- Don't interrupt a debate...listen. Some of you are peacemakers and try to smooth everything over. This doesn't help. Fan the flame of conflict. If you have great leaders on your team, they will be highly opinionated and very persuasive. You need to have an environment where things can be debated and you are fine with it.
- Don't attempt to resolve tension--it won't really be resolved.
- Don't allow team members to interrupt each other.
- When you sense someone isn't listening...only waiting to talk...address it.
- Keep the discussion focused.
- When a sensitive subject is going to be discussed, give those who may feel threatened a heads-up.
- Conclude with assignments.