10 Ways to Kill a Team
Andy Stanley continued by sharing 10 ways to kill a team:
- Meet only when there is a crisis.
- Allow the strong personalities to dominate the discussion.
- Allow team decisions to be undermined by private meetings after the team meeting. Don't you dare agree on something with your team, and then reverse it later. Your best team members will leave. Only the dysfunctional ones will stay.
- Have your mind made up before you get input from the team. This is hard, cause I never feel neutral about anything.
- Remain inflexible in the face of new information.
- Cut off debate.
- Don't hold team members accountable for their assignments.
- Ignore the intangibles.
- Expect more of the team than you expect of yourself.
- Take individual credit for the accomplishments of the team.
The problem with this stuff--you don't see it in the mirror. It's very hard to see when you do this yourself.