Brian Bloye, pastor of Westridge Church, spoke to hundreds of church planters at the Velocity12 Conference several weeks ago, and his talk is still bouncing around the inside of my heart and head. Here are some notes I jotted down:
- Is Jesus enough?
- If you never build a large church, is Jesus enough? If your church fails, is Jesus enough? If you never get to speak at a conference like this, is Jesus enough?
- If Jesus isn't enough, you will always feel unsettled in your soul.
- When Jesus isn't enough, it's not that you try to replace Jesus. You just try to add on to Jesus. And then you become performance-driven.
- Martin Luther said "whatever your heart clings to is your idol."
- Brian quoted a number of passages from the book Jesus + Nothing = Everything by Tullian Tchividjian.
- Jesus plus anything or anyone leads to emptiness.
- We all have to settle this in our hearts, not just once, but over and over again.
Where have you seen the consequences in your own life of adding something to Jesus?